Careers at Speakeasy Ales & Lagers
Looking to get an in with the mob? We're an ever-growing team of hard-working beer bootleggers and we hire for passion, personality, skill, and knowledge of our industry. If you’re interested in joining our team, please check for open positions below.
Even if there aren’t any open positions below, feel free to email a cover letter and resume our way. Please understand that you may not get a response if you send in an unsolicited application.
Speakeasy Ales & Lagers is an equal opportunity employer. We offer paid holidays and vacation, health insurance, 401(k), and opportunities for personal growth and professional development.
Senior Financial Analyst
Speakeasy Ales & Lagers, an iconic San Francisco craft brewery, is seeking to add talent with a passion for craft beer and devotion to quality.
Job Description & Responsibilities
Role: Senior Financial Analyst
Reports to: Director of Finance & Administration
The Sr. Financial Analyst will be responsible for oversight of all day-to-day finance, accounting and reporting activities including accounts payable, accounts receivable, month-end close processes and payroll. S/he will be involved in supporting presentations to the board of directors and will work closely with the senior leadership team. In addition, the Sr. Financial Analyst will partner with senior leadership, and to process day-to-day transactions and to enhance and better integrate finance and HR functions – responsibilities will also extend to providing information, primarily financial in nature, about all company activities that will assist management, its shareholders and other users in making educated economic decisions about the company's future.
Primary duties and responsibilities
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
- Responsible for completing month-end close, analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner
- Maintain internal control processes for all financial related matters
- Analyze budget vs. actual expenditures, coordinate/report these results with cross functional leadership
- Coordinate and audit inventory management, ensure accuracy of data in accounting software
- Clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of financial status
- Assist leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data, and enhance the company's value
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of ad-hoc reports
- Communicate with co-workers, management, clients and others in a courteous and professional manner
- Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Strong preference given to candidates with prior Craft Brewery or Food & Beverage experience
- Three to five years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in cost accounting, followed by experience in an analytical environment - gathering, evaluating, presenting and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, reliability, a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own responsibility for finance
- Minimum of a BA/BS; CPA a plus
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software (Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel and QuickBooks required)
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which allows for strategic data interpretation
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
- Ability to pay close attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
Compensation & Benefits include:
- Competitive salary, dependent on experience
- Full health benefits package
- 401(k) retirement savings plan with company match
If you think you are our ideal candidate, please email us your cover letter and resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Reports to: Packaging Supervisor
Role: Packaging Associate
Shift: Mon-Friday typically 8am-4:30pm
Job Description and Responsibilities
Packaging employees at Speakeasy Ales & Lagers take part in all aspects of bottling, keg cleaning and filling, packaging prep, as well as brewery cleaning and upkeep.
- Operation and upkeep of kegging line
- Position work on Bottling and Canning lines
- Packaging preparation work
- Packaging finished product
- Organization of packaging material inventory
- Organizing and stacking of empty kegs
- Cleaning and organization of packaging and bright beer storage areas
- Assist in general brewery cleaning and preparation for events
The ideal candidate would possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Strong preference given to candidates with prior brewery, bottling or manufacturing experience
- Highly organized individual who will take pride in maintaining a clean, well-functioning packaging area.
- Ability to follow stringent sanitary practices, as well as CIP protocol.
- Ability to complete repetitive movements and frequently and repeatedly lift 35 lbs, and capable of regularly moving 150 lbs
- Commitment to ensuring safe completion of complex and potentially dangerous tasks
- Ability to self manage
- Forklift certification a plus
- Ability to work a schedule of (5) full 8-hour workdays per week, with the flexibility to occasionally work nights or weekends as needed
- A passion for craft beer!
This is an entry-level role that will provide an opportunity to grow within an exciting company. We offer full health benefits. Compensation is competitive starting at $16/hr DOE.
If you think you are an ideal candidate, please email us your cover letter and resume/CV to email@example.com. Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Speakeasy Ales & Lagers seeks experienced Shift Brewer to join talented, growing team.
The NEW Speakeasy Ales & Lagers is looking for a Shift Brewer. We are looking to add talent with a passion for craft beer and devotion to quality.
Role: Shift Brewer
Shift: Rotating shifts, Mon-Friday, with possible weekends.
Reports to: Director of Brewing Operations
Primary duty: Wort production on twin 30 BBL brewhouse.
Expectations & Responsibilities
Production employees at Speakeasy Ales & Lagers take part in all aspects of fermentation, dry hopping, yeast-wrangling, tank cleaning/sanitizing, filtration, and carbonation, as well as brewery cleaning and upkeep. Tasks specific to the brewers include:
All aspects of wort production and fermentation, from grain to glass.
Brew House CIP
Record keeping and data entry
Assist in general brewery cleaning and preparation for events
This is not an entry-level position. 3+ years professional experience is preferred, but candidates must have a minimum of one-year professional experience working in wort production, filtration, or cellar work in a brewery or winery. Must possess strong understanding of wort production, fermentation, and CIP practices. Previous production shift brewing preferred.
Formal brewing education highly prefered.
Minimum of one-year cellar or brewing experience
Fanatical cleanliness with strong attention to detail
Highly accountable, able to self manageAbility to follow stringent sanitary practices
Ability to frequently and repeatedly lift 55 lbs., and capable of moving 150 lbs.
Ability to work a schedule of (5) full 8-hour workdays per week, with the flexibility to work nights or weekends as needed.
Dedicated team player to join an already stellar brewery team
A passion for craft beer!
This position will provide an opportunity to grow within an exciting company. We offer a full health benefits package and a retirement savings plan. Compensation is competitive, starting at $17-$23/hour DOE.
If you think you are our ideal candidate, please email us your cover letter and resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line.
TAP ROOM BEERTENDER
The Speakeasy Tap Room is our basement hideout tucked away in the heart of our brewery. We are constantly looking for beer enthusiasts who want to start a career at Speakeasy and who can educate our guests and folks in the industry alike. We are always looking for hard-working individuals with experience in food & beverage, hospitality, or customer service environments. Cicerone and/or BJCP certifications are a plus. CA Food Handler Card will be required after 30 days.
This is an entry level position, not only into the craft beer world but into an iconic San Francisco brewery with lots of opportunity to advance into other parts of the company. We always prefer to promote from within, and the tap room gives you a chance to shine.
EXPECTATIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engaging guests and ensuring they have a positive experience
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to serve multiple people/beers at a time
- Ability to work and socialize at the same time
- Willingness to learn the industry and our product
- Ability to solve technical and mechanical problems on the fly
- Bar tech experience is a plus!
- Maintaining cleaning standards in all public parts of the tap room
- Being the face of the brewery while both on and off shift
- A passion for craft beer and brewing
- Can do attitude and a desire to learn more
- Ability to work as a part of a team
Work weeks will be somewhere between 20 – 30 hours. Shifts will be dependent upon your availability and the needs of the tap room. Ideally you will be able to work both weekends and weekdays to create a balanced schedule. Weekends are of course the priority. Opening is usually no earlier than 12:00pm, and closing ranges between 9:30pm - 12:30am.
Starting rate is $14 per hour and tips are $7 per hour on average. Tips are all split per shift and cash is take home.
Qualified applicants please send a cover letter and resume with the subject line "Tap Room Beertender" to: email@example.com. In the cover letter, please include a paragraph or two telling us about your love affair with beer. Feel free to stop by the tap room to drop off your resume and introduce yourself to our bar manager.